Strength training is ideal for both men and women, but many women shy away from it because they believe they will get bulky like the women in bodybuilding magazines. Strength training doesn’t produce that type of result; bodybuilding is what produces that type of look.
There are 100,000 people all over the world who are training for strength including men and women both young and old. The strength training program that I have personally used and still training on is the 5×5 Strong Lifts beginner program.
Why is this program ideal for the beginner?
• It is simple and effective
• You will progress and see amazing results in your health in a few months
• It is a training program that has been used by other people for more than 5 years.
You also need to remember, that the same rule applies with nutrition and bee pollen; you have to consistently have to put good food into your body to be healthy. Likewise, you can’t jump from one workout to another; you need to be consistently working out or training in order to get results. The key to strength training is not how much you can lift during each workout, but it’s how many times you actually lift in the gym. My experience with stronglifts 5×5 strength training has been amazing. I’ve increased my overall strength, I feel better, have more energy, and continue to take my nutritional bee pollen supplements. This method of training consistently has shown me that you have to be patient when it comes to being healthy.
Here are my current strength statistics; remember I started with just the empty bar in November, 2010.
Strength Statistics as of May 17, 2011
Squat – 5 sets of 5 reps at 270 lbs
Overhead Press – 5 sets of 5 reps at 115 lbs
Bench Press – 5 sets of 5 reps at 155 lbs
Deadlift – 1 set of 5 reps at 235 lbs
Barbell Row – 5 sets of 5 reps at 115 lbs
If you are not in the ideal shape you wish to be in, in terms of health right now, just remember that it took years of sedentary lifestyle and bad eating habits to get where you are now. There is no quick fix so you have to make a lifestyle change and commit to it. Obviously there are things that can help you like amazing bee pollen supplements and healthier food, but with strength training you’ll increase your energy ten-fold. Some people try to diet or exercise to get that ideal body by weight loss. One method some people try is diet shakes.
Strength training using barbells is not new or the latest fad, but this type of training for strength is the old style of training that natural bodybuilders in the past have used, like Red Park and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Why is barbell training/strength training better than using machines?
• barbell training works your whole body in its natural range of motion
• develops overall strength
• improves posture
• no need for 10 different machines
Machines are not that great because:
• they put your body in a limited range of motion
• higher propensity to get injured because of the limited range of motion
• little to no results for beginners (you become a gym rat)
• not ideal for beginners
What’s great about the stronglifts 5×5 beginner program?
• You have a plan, so you’re not wasting time in the gym. With each workout, you know exactly what you are going to be doing. It’s funny but if you go to the gym and really notice most people are just jumping from one machine to the next with no real goal or plan in mind. Having a goal and plan keeps you focused, so you can actually measure your results and know for sure if you are improving or not.
• It’s quick! Usually for me it takes me around an hour including showering and changing in the gym to complete my stronglifts 5×5 workout.
I know some people love the gym and like to be their even longer, however, I want to enjoy life right now, and not be a gym rat!